Tuesday, April 1, 2014

The thought of just one dream it consumes me

I've been awake since 4:45am Monday morning. As I start writing this it's 1:05am Tuesday morning. If you don't count the time I was out for surgery I've slept a total of 20 minutes and it doesn't look like that's going to change any time soon.

**warning, it's about to get all medical and graphic and a lil gross up in here**

When I woke up for surgery I was in probably the worst pain ever, I rated it 8/10 and they kept pumping me with pain killers every 5 minutes. Since noon it's been at a consistent 4 which is better but I still can't move much. The last 2 times I was knocked out for surgery I woke up pretty well but even an ice cube wanted to come back up today. From what I've heard people can have a difficult time urinating after anesthesia and that affected me. I couldn't get started and when I did I couldn't keep it going so a couple hours ago I had the pleasure of my first catheter. Most people pass between 150 and 500 ml of urine on a normal trip to the bathroom. I had a total of 1550 ml in about a half hour with that thing in. Suddenly my stomach doesn't hurt anymore. For the discomfort of putting the tube in and taking it out, the end result was worth it.

My lunch sucked, they came by and said I was on a clear liquid diet so when they started rattling off what my options were I just said screw it bring me one of everything. Dinner on the other hand was AWESOME! I had spaghetti with meatballs, Greek salad, chicken finger (yes only one single chicken finger) and a cheeseburger. Best part is, it wasn't all crappy hospital food and I learned taht between 630am and 8pm I'm allowed to call room service and have food delivered at any time. For breakfast I'm ordering bacon with a bacon and a side of bacon. For dessert my homie Kayla (Cassie's former co-worker and nurse in the cancer center) made me a milkshake.

OK so to sum it up I have 2 IVs, pain killers include Dilaudid, oxycodone & tylenol, and xanax as needed. It looks like the chest tube is done pumping stuff out so the only other thing holding me back is pain management. I can't go home til I'm off the IV pain killers and it's starting to look like that might take a while. Now I'm about to do a lap around the nurse's station and hopefully tire myself out. Here goes nothin'...

1 comment:

  1. Hang in there Pat. I always knew you were full of piss, but this takes the cake! I would come visit but have a cold and that is the LAST thing you need right now. God bless you and speed your recovery.

    ReplyDelete